Traditional aubergine or layered Mediterranean vegetables in any order you like, with a lean turkey meat sauce, this guilt free meal will have you going back for more. You can go traditional with the use of aubergine for more even layers, but I personally love mixing it up with other grilled vegetables. See the recipe for my easy turkey moussaka below!
- 1kg lean turkey mince
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp of tomato puree
- 200ml water
- Chicken stock cube or stock pot
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 2 large aubergines OR 2 large courgettes, 3 red peppers & 2 large white onions
- 200g fresh mozzarella (torn)
- A handful of grated cheese to finish (parmesan, mozzarella or cheddar)
- Salt & pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180C, Gas Mark 4.
- In a large pan, fry off the garlic, followed by the turkey mince until browned. Add oregano and cinnamon and combine.
- Stir through the tomato puree, followed by the tin of tomatoes, water and stock cube and simmer for approximately 20 minutes until combined. Season well.
- Slice your vegetables (aubergine OR mixed veg) until they are as thin as they can go without falling apart. Lay them on a baking tray, drizzle with oil and a bit of salt and pepper. Grill them in sheets for a couple of minutes on each side, flipping once so both sides are softened and golden but not burnt. Repeat until all the veg is done, set to one side.
- In a lasagne dish or shallow baking dish, layer no more than ¼ of the meat mixture. Top with a layer of one of the vegetables (if using a combo of mixed vegetables - you can do a layer of each or mix them up if you prefer!). Add ⅓ of the torn mozzarella. Repeat for another 2 layers until you have used up all your veg, mozzarella and finish with a final layer of the turkey mince meat. Finish with a grating of parmesan, mozzarella or cheddar, to your liking.
- Pop into the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes to melt the cheese and combine.
- Remove from the oven, serve up & enjoy!
This recipe works great with a simple side salad to keep it fresh and healthy!
I hope you enjoy this healthy dinner recipe!