A perfect lemon loaf with poppyseeds for the most delicious and zesty cake. A fluffy and light sponge, you wouldn’t know it was gluten free!
- 100g unsalted butter (softened)
- 125g caster sugar
- 2 medium eggs
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice*
- 1 tablespoon lemon rind*
- 125g gluten free self-raising flour
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
*Note: Approximately 2-3 lemons are required depending on their size
- 250g icing sugar
- Water to mix (approx. 1-2 tbsp)
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- Preheat the oven to 180C, Gas Mark 3. Prep and line a standard loaf tin.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Gradually add the eggs and lemon rind and mix well again. The mixture may curdle slightly but this is normal.
- Add the flour and beat well to achieve a smooth batter.
- Stir in the poppy seeds.
- Spoon the mixture into the tin and bake for 40-45 minutes until when a skewer is poked through the sponge, it comes out clean.