An eton mess or a pavlova is a classic family favourite and these individual meringue nests are no different. Packed with fruit and cream and finished with raspberry coulis, these naturally gluten free desserts will be a hit at any summer dinner table.
· 4 eggs (whites only)
· 175g caster sugar
· ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
· 1 teaspoon cornflour
· 1teaspoon white wine vinegar
· Punnet raspberries
· Punnet strawberries
· Double cream 150ml
· Raspberry coulis to finish (you can buy this from any supermarket – I am using the M&S one)
- Preheat the oven to 140C, Gas Mark 1.
- Whisk the egg whites until peaks form.
- Gradually a little at a time, beat in the sugar, followed by in the vinegar and cornflour. The mixture should be thick and glossy.
- Using a tablespoon scoop the mixture onto a baking tray lined with greaseproof paper into rough ‘nest’ shapes with a slight hollow in the middle.
- Bake for 1 hr until firm. Leave to cool completely.
- Whip the cream until light and fluffy and wash and prep the fruit (I would chop the strawberries into halves or thirds).
- Fill your cooled meringue nests with a tablespoon of cream, followed by as much fruit and coulis as you like. I cheated and bought ready made coulis (much easier than making your own!).