This chinese orange chicken is a new favourite! Packed with flavour and you wouldn’t know it was gluten free! Coeliacs do not have to miss out on this delicious battered chicken dish!
For the chicken
- 2 chicken breasts (diced in 2cm pieces)
- 100g cornflour
- 1 teaspoon chinese five spice
- Salt & pepper
- 3 medium eggs
- 500ml vegetable oil (for frying)
For the sauce
- 250ml gluten free chicken stock (I am using Knorr)
- 60ml gluten free soy sauce
- 80ml white wine vinegar
- 65g caster sugar
- Juice and zest of 1/2 an orange
- 2 garlic cloves (crushed)
- 1 teaspoon of sriracha
- 1/2 teaspoon of fresh grated ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon of chilli flakes
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon of cornflour
- In a deep, high sided pan, add the vegetable oil and place over a medium / high heat. Preheat the oven to 180C, Gas Mark 4.
- First mix the dry ingredients to coat the chicken, the cornflour, spices, and a good helping of salt & pepper.
- Mix the eggs together in a separate bowl.
- Take the diced chicken and roll it in the beaten egg, then into the cornflour, then throw it into the oil to batter. Fry until golden brown, about 1-2 minutes. Work in batches and using a slotted spoon, set aside on kitchen paper to drain.
- Mix all the sauce ingredients (bar the cornflour) together in a jug or bowl. Mix the tablespoon of cornflour with 1 tablespoon of water to make a paste, add this to the sauce and combine well.
- In a large oven dish, place the battered chicken and add the sauce. Place in the oven for approximately 50 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes or so. When the sauce has bubbled down and the chicken is coated and sticky, remove from the oven and serve immediately.
I hope you love this recipe as much as I do!