Pecan pie is a Christmas specialty and all you need is some gluten free pastry to make this treat coeliac friendly. Genius do a great ready to roll shortcrust pastry that is also suitable for freezing, so I love keeping a stock of this to fall back on! Sweet, nutty and delicious, this is bound to take centre stage at any festive feast.
Best served with whipped cream, creme fresh or ice cream… your call!
- 1 pack gluten free shortcrust pastry (I am using Genius ready-made)
- 100g golden caster sugar
- 75g butter (unsalted)
- 175g golden syrup
- 175g maple syrup
- 3 medium eggs
- 300g pecan halves
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- Icing sugar (for dusting)
- Preheat the oven to 190C/Gas Mark 5. Line and grease a tart / pastry tin.
- Knead the Genius pastry on a lightly floured surface and roll out (not too thin or the pastry will crumble). Line the tart tin, use some greaseproof paper and fill the pastry with baking beans, before blind baking for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, carefully (the pastry will be delicate) remove the paper and beans and return to the oven for another 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, making the filling. Beat the sugar and butter together with an elextric whisk until light and fluffy. Beat the eggs separately before GRADUALLY adding to the mixture… slowly a little at a time or the mixture will curdle. Add a pinch of salt and the vanilla until totally combined. Add the nuts before pouring the mixture into the tart case and returning to the oven.
- Bake for 10-15 mins before turning the heat down to 160C / Gas Mark 3 and baking for a further half an hour, until the pie is a deep golden brown colour. Leave to cool.
- With gluten free pastry I sometimes trim the edges for a rustic look, as it can tend to crumble anyway along the sides.
- Dust with icing sugar & enjoy!
Note: You can purchase Genius gluten free ready to roll pastry at Sainsburys or ASDA.
I hope you like this recipe and have a fabulous time stuffing your faces with gluten free goodies over Christmas!
*Disclaimer: This post is created alongside Genius! I only work with brands I truly love and recommend.