Key lime pie is so simple to make, and there’s no reason it shouldn’t be that way just because you are gluten free. This super quick and easy recipe requires very few ingredients and it tastes delicious!!
- 4 limes (zest and juice)
- 1 can of condensed milk
- Approx 175g of Gluten Free digestive biscuits (I am using Sainsbury’s own)
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon of golden syrup
- 100g butter
- Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 4, 350°F (180°C).
- Put the biscuits into a sealed plastic bag. Crush with a rolling pin to make into crumbs. I find it easiest to roll over the bag lay flat with a rolling pin.
- Place the butter over a low heat to melt and add in the golden syrup. I add in syrup to help with holding the mixture together, as gluten free can make this difficult sometimes! Next pour in your crushed biscuits to combine.
- Place the crumb mixture into the bottom and up the sides of a loose based round, lined baking tray.
- Put this in the oven for 10 – 12 minutes until the crumb starts to harden and appear a golden brown colour.
- With that is in the oven, place the egg yolks and zest into a bowl and whisk for 2 minutes (ideally using an electric whisker). Following that, add the condensed milk and whisk for another few minutes. Then follow on by adding the lime juice.
- Once all of these are combined, pour the mixture onto the biscuit crumb and return to the oven for another 20 minutes. if you gently touch it with your finger, it should feel just set.
Leave to cool and decorate with a twist or slice of lime. Best served with crème fraîche.