Also called a Spanish omelette, a Spanish tortilla is a traditional tapas dish you will see time and time again, but being able to make it in your own home in just a few easy steps and only a couple of ingredients, is so worthwhile. You just can’t beat it fresh out of the pan, and of course it is naturally gluten free! Shortly after I had mastered this recipe, it became a favourite in our house. I pre-cook the potatoes as it speeds up the whole process up and you don’t risk having underdone potato, which can ruin the tortilla! What I love about this dish is it is so versatile, you can throw just about anything in there and it will taste great – peppers, onions, mushrooms, chorizo, you name it!
Whip this easy dish up yourself:
- 6 eggs
- 3 medium large waxy potatoes
- 1 green chilli
- 2 medium white onions
- Any additional seasoning you like, I sometimes put in a pinch of cinnamon – trust me it works!
- Olive oil
- Peel and finely slice the potatoes. Boil for 5-10 minutes until softened (but not completely falling apart). Drain and set to one side.
- Thinly slice the onion into fine strips and dice (and de-seed the chilli). Throw into a medium sized frying pan with the olive oil and a little seasoning, and soften over a medium heat.
- Add in the potato and cook for a further couple of minutes.
- Whisk the eggs in a separate bowl and season well and add any other herbs or spices you are using.
- When the onion and potato is done, remove from the pan into a new bowl and pour the egg mixture over the top and stir well so the potato and onion is fully coated in egg.
- Return back to the pan and set on a low heat to cook for approximately 20 minutes until there is no runny egg visible on the top. When this happens, flip the tortilla out using a plate, before returning it back to the pan so the other side can cook. Cook for a further 5 minutes on the other side.
- Garnish with a little fresh flat leaf parsley.
This can be eaten hot or cold and can be reheated in a microwave for a quick snack or lunch. We love this for dinner with some crusty gluten free bread, salad, olives and a little fried chorizo!
Hope you like this recipe!