I have been working on this recipe for as long as I have been gluten free, It was a dream of mine to make the perfect gluten free chocolate chip cookies and I am thrilled to say I think I have FINALLY done it! These are by far my best cookies and the best part is, the recipe is not overly complicated… you can get all the ingredients at your local supermarket and you don’t have to spend hours in the kitchen!
I see these as a Millies Cookies duplicate. I was obsessed with Millies Cookies before I became coeliac, so to recreate those soft, mouth-watering, flavour packed cookies instantly became my goal. I hope you love these cookies as much as I do!
- 4oz / 115g butter (softened) or margarine
- 8oz / 230g caster sugar
- 4 oz / 115g gluten free self-raising flour
- 4oz / 115g ground almonds
- 5oz / 140g gluten free oats
- 1/2 a teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon syrup
- 1 tablespoon of water
- 2 bags of chocolate chips / 1 and a half bars cut into chunks (I used a combination of milk and white)
- Preheat the oven to 160C / Gas Mark 3.
- Cream together the butter, sugar and vanilla together in a large mixing bowl until light and fluffy (easier with an electric whisk).
- Add the water and syrup and mix again.
- Add in the flour, almonds and oats and mix until fully combined.
- Add in the chocolate chips and stir / whisk to combine evenly into the mixture. It will be a chunky , slightly sticky consistency.
- Flour your hands and take small handfuls of the mix, rolling it into balls.
- Place on a greased baking tray very well spaced out, they will spread out quite a bit during baking.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until just flattened and just beginning to brown ever so slightly on the edges. I prefer to slightly under-bake the cookies as I like them soft, but this is just my personal preference, just keep an eye on their colour during baking.
I love these fresh out the oven, with a glass of milk or a cuppa tea. Delicious!
You can modify this recipe to change the type of cookie you make, maybe try white chocolate and cranberry, ginger, pecan or raisin instead… whatever takes your fancy.
I am obsessed. Hope you will be too!