Next in my ‘Summer Salad Series’ is probably the easiest one yet, this naturally gluten free, healthy homemade coleslaw. My mama has been making this one for us for years, so again this is inspired by her! She is the salad queen!! I think this recipe is perfect for summer now we are headed for the BBQ season, with its bright colours and fresh, clean taste.
What I love about this is it is packed with healthy ingredients and you can switch it up / personalise it as much as you like. You can add in more or less of certain ingredients just depending on your preference – you could add cheese or jalapenos for example! The base for this coleslaw is cabbage, which is packed with vitamin C and is a good source of antioxidants. I love the addition of apple in this slaw, as it gives it a sweet lift.
It is so simple and quick to make and works as a side dish for many different meals: on burgers, on top of some leafy greens, in sandwiches, in a wrap? The list goes on.
I hope you make this coleslaw for one of your next BBQs… I promise, you won’t be disappointed!
For a large bowl
- 1/2 a Red Cabbage
- 1/2 a White Cabbage (thinly sliced)
- 2 Carrots (thinly sliced)
- 1 Apple (thinly sliced)
- Red Onion (thinly sliced)
- 4 Spring Onions
For the dressing
- 4 Heaped Tbsps Mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsps Olive Oil
- 2 Tbsps White Wine vinegar
- Salt & pepper
- Slice all the veg into thin slices / strips. Do the same with the apple, but soak the apple pieces for a few minutes in a bowl of water and lemon juice and drain them, this will stop the apple from going brown.
- Put it all into a large bowl and make the dressing. In a measuring jug / jar / bowl (whatever you like!) mix the mayonnaise, oil, vinegar, salt and pepper well with a fork.
- Add the dressing to the large bowl and mix well until everything is coated in a light layer.