I saw this cake online and just had to make a gluten free version. I love the idea of fruit combined within cake, the moisture it brings is delicious, especially when gluten free can usually be quite dry. When I tested this out on a few of my friends they said they couldn’t even tell it was gluten free, and of course that is always the aim.
I love the appearance of this cake – it looks impressive, which is great considering how simple it is to make!
- 100g butter (softened)
- 100g golden caster sugar
- 100g gluten free self raising flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 2 tablespoons natural yoghurt
For the glaze
- 50g butter
- 50g light or dark soft brown sugar
- Pineapple rings (tinned in juice is easiest)
- Glacé cherries approx 6
- Preheat the oven to 160C/Gas Mark 3
- Make the glaze first. Cream together the soft brown sugar and 50g of the butter. Spread this across the base and a quarter the way up the sides of a round cake tin.
- Place the pineapple slices over the top and arrange how you like. Put the cherries in the centre of each pineapple ring.
- Next make the cake. Mix all the ingredients in a bowl along with a splash of the pineapple juice from the tin with an electric whisk until smooth.
- Pour the mix over the pineapples and level out.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until you can put a skewer through the sponge and it comes out clean.
- Leave to cool slightly before turning the cake out onto a plate.
Hope you like this one!