Tis’ the season to eat gingerbread men!! I spent ages trying to find a way to make tasty gluten free gingerbread, and found this the recipe works a treat. It is simple with very few ingredients, and super fun to make. It’s the perfect time of year to enjoy these festive treats, so get baking!!
For the gingerbread
- 225g (9oz) gluten free plain flour (I am using Doves Farm) – plus extra for dusting
- 100g (4oz) golden caster sugar
- 100g (4oz) butter
- 1.5 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons of golden syrup
- 1 tablespoon hot water
For the icing
- 300g royal icing sugar
- Warm water
Makes approximately 6 gingerbread men
- Preheat the oven to 150C / Gas Mark 2.
- Start by mixing the flour, sugar, ginger and bicarbonate of soda in a bowl.
- Next rub in the butter to form a fine breadcrumb mixture.
- Mix the syrup with the hot water, then add this to your breadcrumb mixture to form a dough. The syrup will help bind the mixture. Add more flour if the mix gets too sticky.
- Roll it into a ball using your hands and roll out on a clean surface to approx 1cm thick.
- Cut out using a gingerbread man cookie cutter and keep rolling out until you have used up all the mixture.
- Place onto a greased baking tray, with a good distance between each gingerbread in case they expand slightly during baking. Bake for approximately 15-20 minutes. Make sure your oven isn’t too hot, as they come out a lot better at a lower heat for a longer period of time (this may vary depending on your oven).
- When they are done, leave them on a rack to cool and prepare your icing. I mix about 300g of icing sugar with warm water until I get a thick consistency (that will hold when piped – add more water and icing sugar until you), then pipe it onto my cookies. This style icing sets very quickly so is perfect for gingerbread men.
Gingerbread men are so much fun to make and decorate, and baking is a perfect family activity for over the Christmas holidays! Just because you can’t eat gluten doesn’t mean you can’t have delicious gingerbread just like everyone else.
I hope you love this recipe just as much as I do and enjoy the festive season!