Broccoli and cheese is a winning combination, especially in a bowl of delicious gluten free pasta – add in some onions and you have a quick and easy, feel good meal. This gluten free cheese sauce is my go-to and is so simple to make!
- 1 Broccoli
- 1 onion
- A knob of butter
- Gluten free pasta (I am using Sainsbury’s own, gluten free penne)
To make cheese sauce (recipe based on 2 people):
- Milk (quantity depends on how many people you are cooking for. Recommend 1 cup / 250ml for 2 people)
- 2 teaspoons cornflour
- 2 tablespoons water
- Cheddar cheese (approx 2 – 3 handfuls)
- Onion salt or powder
- White Pepper
1. Start by making your cheese sauce. In a pan warm the milk. In a separate cup mix the water and the cornflour until dissolved. Add to the pan with the milk and keep stirring until the mixture starts to thicken.
2. Add the onion salt or powder, regular salt and white pepper to the pan followed by the handfuls of cheese and keep stirring until you get your desired consistency. You can make it thicker with more cornflour / water or thinner with more milk.
3. Boil your pasta, as per packet instructions.
4. Meanwhile, rinse and chop the broccoli into small florets and boil in a pan for 5 minutes until slightly softened. Roughly chop the onion into chunks. Once the broccoli is softened add it, along with the onion, to a hot pan with the knob of butter. Keep stirring and cook until the vegetables are slightly softened.
5. Drain your pasta and add your sauce and vegetables. Mix well.
6. Put into a pan and grate cheese over the top. Put in the oven for 10-15 minutes on high until the top begins to crisp up.
7. Remove from the oven and serve…Enjoy!
Hope you love this recipe!