January is here and after fully indulging over Christmas, now is the time to start eating a little more carefully to keep energy levels up whilst I get back into the swing of things. I am not going to lie, I probably won’t be cutting out chocolate completely or saying goodbye to my gluten free cakes, but I do believe in everything in moderation!
I was thrilled to be contacted by British Military Fitness to submit a recipe for their #FitFoodBMF Recipe Book. It gave me the opportunity to share one of my all time favourite desserts – my gluten free apple and blackberry crumble. This recipe demonstrates an alternative topping to the standard crumble, with a healthier, gluten free twist. It is super quick and easy to make, and cleaner than a slice of chocolate cake after dinner!
For the topping:
- 100g Gluten Free Plain Flour (I am using Doves Farm brand)
- 100g Gluten Free Oats (I am using Sainsburys own)
- 50g Ground Almonds
- 125g Butter
- 75g Soft Light Brown Caster Sugar
For the filling:
- 1 Punnet Blackberries
- Approx 6 Cooking Apples
- 5 tbsp Water
- Stem Ginger in Syrup (about 2 pieces from a jar, chopped)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, Fan 160°C, 325°F, Gas4
- Peel and chop the apples before placing them evenly across the base of a high-sided ovenproof dish, alongside the blackberries.
- Chop the stem ginger and place in the base with the fruit, before adding the spoonfuls of water over the top. I like to add a little syrup from the jar of ginger over the fruit too for additional flavour.
- Mix together the flour, oats, almonds and sugar in a separate bowl. Cut the butter into small chunks and add it into the mix – use your fingertips to form a breadcrumb like mixture.
- Distribute the topping over the fruit. Do not pack it down tight, just let it sit over the top of the fruit as this will form a better crumb. Bake in the oven for approx 1 hour.
- Serve hot with cream or custard.
I am so excited to be a part of this great recipe book and feature alongside 23 of the best food and fitness bloggers in the UK. There are Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner and Snack recipes included and they all look delicious! Whatever your body goals for 2016, there is something in there for you. You can download your FREE digital copy of the book here.
I hope you enjoy this book and its recipes as much as I do.